AMILI raises US$10.5 million in its over-subscribed Series A round led by Vulcan Capital
- Lead investor Vulcan Capital is joined by other new investors Pruksa Group, TVM Capital Healthcare, Emtek Group, Capital Code, SEEDS Capital, Pureland Group, Blue7, and returning investors GK Goh as well as other angel investors
- The funding strengthens AMILI’s position as Southeast Asia’s largest precision gut microbiome company, allowing it to expand rapidly in Southeast Asia and Greater Asia and further develop its proprietary microbiome analytics engine (AMILI PRIME)
SINGAPORE, 15 June 2022 – AMILI, a Singapore-based precision gut microbiome company, has raised US$10.5 million in Series A funding to accelerate its business expansion in Southeast Asia and Greater Asia. The round was led by Vulcan Capital, the investment arm of the late Microsoft Corp co-founder Paul Allen that invests in category-leading technology, internet, and life sciences companies. Other new investors include Pruksa Group, TVM Capital Healthcare, Emtek Group, Capital Code, Pureland Group, Blue7 and SEEDS Capital, the investment arm of Enterprise Singapore. GK Goh and other existing investors also participated in the round.
AMILI is a precision gut health company building the world’s largest multi-ethnic Asia-centric microbiome repository of data and samples, including Southeast Asia’s only microbiome bank. AMILI through its proprietary analytics engine, AMILI PRIME, develops diagnostics tests, predictive algorithms and microbiome-modifying interventions.
The funds raised will be used to accelerate microbiome research partnerships and discovery, develop AMILI PRIME and deepen AMILI’s presence in Southeast Asia initially and the rest of Asia subsequently. The round was carefully constructed to bring onboard investors with expertise from the biotechnology, healthcare, food technology sectors, to accelerate AMILI’s expansion in microbiome diagnostics and interventions including both functional foods and clinical therapeutics.
“Although gut health research has advanced steadily over the years in other regions, there is still a big gap in research that is representative of the Asian population. We are excited to journey with AMILI as it advances microbiome research and positively impacts millions of lives.” said Tommy Teo, Managing Director of Vulcan Capital.
“AMILI is delighted to welcome Vulcan Capital and our other Series A investors as partners on our journey to unlock the potential of the human microbiome. We are incredibly excited by the traction we are seeing across our platform and eager to expand our presence in Southeast Asia and Greater Asia. We thank our new and existing investors for placing their trust in us as we continue to develop microbiome-based diagnostics and interventions to enhance human health”, said Dr Jeremy Lim, CEO and Co-Founder of AMILI.
AMILI has three core assets which allows it to create and capture value: (i) a multi-ethnic Asia microbiome database, (ii) a microbiome bank with samples stored for metagenomic and metabolomic analysis, and (iii) AMILI PRIME, a set of proprietary analytical tools, informatics pipelines and discovery engines.
These core assets are used to power AMILI’s four commercial engines:
- Diagnostics and Therapeutics: AMILI works closely with academic institutions and biotech companies to identify novel biomarkers, elucidate mechanistic pathways and formulate products to modify the gut microbiome and treating disease.
- Faecal Microbiota Transplants (“FMT”): Collection, analysis and processing of FMT preparations used by patients, hospitals and research institutes across the region.
- Personalised Wellness: The direct-to-consumer arm of AMILI, branded as BIO & ME, which includes gut health testing services and personalised supplements developed through AMILI PRIME based on multi-ethnic Asia data.
- ‘Food for Health’: Partnerships with food manufacturers and retailers to assist them in product validation, measurement and developments. AMILI provides them with insights to the impact of various ingredients, recipes and foods on the human microbiome, particularly as it pertains to the consumer living in Asia.
Since its inception, AMILI has established more than 20 research studies across a wide range of health indications, with a total grant value exceeding S$60 million. It is the only FMT provider in Southeast Asia, serving the region’s 680 million people. AMILI also recently launched its direct-to-consumer precision gut health brand, BIO & ME, in Singapore and plans to expand into the rest of Southeast Asia and Hong Kong later in 2022. AMILI has several partnerships ranging from large fortune 500 MNCs to insurgent brands in the consumer space and continues to break new ground in this area.
AMILI is a precision gut microbiome company based in Singapore serving the region. Through its proprietary analytics engine PRIME, AMILI develops diagnostics tests, predictive algorithms and microbiome-modifying interventions. Its consumer health arm, BIO & ME, utilises insights from AMILI’s database and PRIME to generate Asia-centric solutions towards personalised diets, supplementation and precision health. AMILI also houses Southeast Asia’s first and only gut microbiome bank for clinical use and research.
For more information please visit www.amili.asia.